Catholics Sponsors for Baptism or Confirmation
Church law directs that a Catholic sponsor:
- Must beegistered in a parish;
- Is 16 years of age or older;
- Has received the sacraments of Baptism, Holy Communion and Confirmation;
- Joins weekly in the celebration of Mass and receives Holy Communion;
- Iif married, be so by a priest or deacon.
The Catholic sponsor must obtain a Sponsor Certificate from their parish and submit this to Sacred Heart Parish Office two weeks or more prior to the Baptism.
Parishioners asked to be a Sponsor
If you are a member of Sacred Heart Parish and have been asked to be a Sponsor for Baptism or Confirmation, please review the requirements stated above. If you are living according to the requirements, please call the parish office and arrange a time to stop by when Fr. Cole or Deacon Tom is available to provide you with your sponsor certificate.
The Church reserves the priviledge of involvement by a non-Catholic party to act as a Christian Witness in place of one of the Godparents. This right is reserved for non-Catholic persons only. A non-Catholic may act as a sponsor for Baptism, only when accompanied by a practicing Catholic sponsor who is fulfilling each of the requirements stated above.
If a person has ever been baptized Catholic, they may not act as a Christian Witness. Rather, they must fulfill the requirements stated above for Catholic Sponsors.
If a non-Catholic is chosen to act in this capacity, he or she must be a baptized Christian. In addition it is strongly recommended that he or she is:
- An active, registered member of their Christian church;
- One who attends worships services on a regular basis;
- One who demonstrates his or her Christian values in the way they live.
No Sponsor Certificate is required of the non-Catholic sponsor.
If you have questions regarding Baptism or sponsors for Baptism or Confirmation, please call Deacon Tom at 440-655-0647, or contact the parish office and speak with Fr. Cole.